Martine Wool Jacket, Delphine Lace Dress, Luisa Silk Blouse, Brigitte Combo Dress, Sophie Silk Blouse, Carmen Light Ponte Flip Dress
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Friday, October 24, 2014
To us, Fall is the best time of year. The weather is mild and breezy, the leaves are changing, and the crisp air is uniquely energizing, but when it comes to getting dressed for work, this gorgeous seasonal transition can be challenging. If keeping up with changing weather and a slew of new fashion trends is making your head spin, take a peek at our simple guide to an updated fall work wardrobe. Adding just three new pieces to your office outfit mix will make getting ready in the morning - and looking fabulous - as easy as, well, pumpkin pie...
Fall Must Have #1: A Light Jacket
Between chilly temperatures outside and air-conditioned office buildings, a stylish light jacket is a staple you'll reach for again and again this season. The ideal fall jacket should be able to function as a layering piece, worn comfortably on your commute and then either taken off at work or left on all day, depending on temperature fluctuations and what activities are on your schedule for the day. To get the most use out of it, make sure your jacket is light enough to layer under a heavier coat when temperatures really start to drop. Here are two great options from our fall collection:
Our Martine jacket, which is comfortable, flattering, effortlessly stylish, and versatile (wear it inside, outside, over dresses, under coats - the possibilities are endless!).
And our Alix jacket, which combines the comfort of a sweater (it's made of knit boucle and trimmed with stretch ponte) with the professional polish and fashion-forward style of a high-end designer jacket. It's the perfect layering piece that will bring your whole work wardrobe together.
Fall Must Have #2: A Great Pair Of Pants
It's time to pack up the paper-thin slacks of summer and move on to weightier fabrics and more seasonally appropriate textures. We are crazy about the Stanton Slim Pants in black stretch corduroy because they can easily take you from work to errands to holiday parties in comfort and style:
Made of luxe Italian stretch corduroy, which has a velvet-like sheen, these pants are subtly festive and perfect for the season, but also surprisingly versatile. Wear with a tucked-in white tunic, belt, and pumps for a clean, modern workday look, or try a printed blouse to add some color and interest to your outfit. Either way, we guarantee you'll stay comfortable all day, thanks to the stretch fabric and our signature back elastic adjustable waistband.
Fall Must Have #3: A Sleeveless Dress
In fall and winter, a sleeveless sheath is actually your most versatile option. You can take it from day to night easily, change up the look with different cardigans, wraps and jackets, and of course with accessories. Sleeved dresses are great, but when you pair them with a cardigan, blazer, or light jacket, the fabric tends to bunch up. A sleeveless dress ensures your layers lay smoothly and don't add any extra bulk. Stay tuned for more tips on layering sleeveless dresses, but for now, let's gaze at our favorite sleeveless dress of the season, the Gabriella:
Available in either crimson or black, with an asymmetrical neckline that's flattering and unique, this dress will be a wardrobe staple from the day it arrives on your doorstep. Designed to be fitted but not tight, the Italian ponte fabric creates a sleek shape on any body type, perfect for the office, and easy to dress up for post-work parties and happy hours.
With these three pieces, you'll be able to assemble countless outfits that are comfortable, stylish, and office-appropriate. Fall is the perfect time to give your work wardrobe a promotion. And hey, according to that classic piece of advice about dressing for the job you want, who's to say a real promotion won't follow?
Monday, October 20, 2014
Here at Dobbin, we often talk about doing things the "old school" way when it comes to fit, quality, craftsmanship, and customer service. As the global garment industry has evolved toward cookie-cutter design and faster and faster production schedules, standards have been lowered, quality has been forgotten and, sadly, much of the magic of the fashion world has been lost. We're working every day to bring some of that magic back, and you can help. Here are 7 ways modern women can infuse some "old school" sensibility into their shopping habits, wardrobes, and personal style.
1. Invest in quality. Past generations knew that quality clothing was a worthy investment, so they spent more money on each piece, and bought fewer items overall. These days, we've become accustomed to buying many, many more garments of much lower quality. It's time we stop settling for cheap, shoddily made clothing. Nothing beats the feeling of saving up for an amazing, high quality garment you will wear for years to come.
2. Educate yourself about clothing. You don't have to get a degree in fashion design to be a more educated consumer. A simple way to start is just by noticing how different fabrics feel against your skin, how different seams flatter your body, how long certain pieces of clothing tend to last. Take a look at the construction of a well-made garment that you've owned for years, and compare it to a cheaper, low quality garment from a fast fashion store. Once you train yourself to spot these differences, you'll be able to quickly identify quality garments and make better choices whenever you go shopping!
3. Prioritize great fit. Have you noticed how many modern day trends include flowy, shapeless garments, often in flimsy fabrics? As comfortable as this type of clothing might be, it's not particularly flattering and it rarely lasts more than a month or two. If you want to add a dose of vintage polish to your look, treat yourself to clothing that actually fits. Look for pieces with thicker fabrics and more structure, clothes that are designed to fit and flatter a woman's body rather than swallow it whole.
4. Befriend your tailor. Speaking of fit, the best way to ensure a truly perfect fit is to have your clothing tailored. Tailoring and alterations used to be a given - clothing wasn't brought home directly from the store, it was taken straight to the tailor! - and the difference between an off-the-rack garment and a tailored garment is often worthy of a double take. Here at Dobbin, we design our clothes to fit beautifully right off the rack (or out of the box, to be more specific), but we also keep tailoring in mind when constructing our garments, making them easy to alter as desired.
5. Take good care of your clothes. Over the past decade or so, consumers have been trained to view clothing as a disposable resource. After all, when you pay $5 for a t-shirt, you don't really expect it to last, and you know you can always go out and buy a few more to replace it. But back in the day, clothing was valued and cared for with the respect it deserved. Keep this in mind as you launder your clothes, wear them, and store them. Treat them like beautiful investment pieces, because they are!
6. Repair instead of throwing away. Even when you take great care of your clothes, after awhile, wear and tear can take a toll. When a button falls off or a small rip appears, don't toss that dress in the garbage! Repair it yourself or take it to that aforementioned tailor of yours (this is why you befriended her, remember?) and have it fixed up. Getting in the habit of repairing clothing instead of tossing it is good for your wallet and good for the earth - textile waste is a growing problem in landfills. Turns out our grandmothers were right: a needle and thread can save the world.
7. Buy American-made. As little as 20 years ago, "made in USA" clothing tags far outnumbered "made in China" labels. The United States garment industry was once a thriving system that employed thousands of people and manufactured high quality clothing. Alas, thanks to changing trade agreements and the rise of fast fashion, now the vast majority of clothing on American store shelves is imported (and usually cheaply made). Companies like Dobbin are committed to manufacturing their clothing in the USA, and you can show your support by buying American-made garments whenever possible.
So there you have it. From looking fabulous to helping the environment and the economy, there are tons of reasons to do things the "old school" way, at least when it comes to clothing. We'll be keeping it old school here at Dobbin. Won't you join us?
Friday, October 17, 2014
- Lisa discusses the clash between her fantasy self and her real self and how she's learning to find a balance (and illustrates her point with a fabulous outfit!).
- Pour yourself a cup of Earl Grey tea and get lost in this beautiful tour of an English flower farm.
- The first photos of Emma Stone as Sally Bowles in "Cabaret" have been released. What do you think of her lacy outfit? (We love it.) Will you be buying tickets to see her on Broadway?
- "Between Instagram and real life, I say, always pick real life." Wise words from Garance.
- Wondering how to style your casual summer dresses for breezy fall weather? Allie has all your answers.
- Heading to Paris, Rome, or London soon? (Lucky you!) Here are some indispensable packing tips for European vacations.
- The Edit has a great interview with one of our heroes, Geena Davis.
- How beautiful are these textured abstract paintings?
- Jennine has a hair crush on Freja Beha, and after scrolling through these photos, we have to agree.
- Did someone say pear pancakes? We're listening. Do go on...
And just in case you missed it, be sure to read all about our new fall collection. Now is the perfect time to treat yourself to a gorgeous new dress, don't you think?
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
We're thrilled to unveil our new collection! We've been buzzing with excitement behind the scenes here at Dobbin for many months as we've worked to bring this new line to fruition. The end result is a collection we are really proud to offer, and you'll be proud to wear. As ever, you'll find the same high level of quality, impeccable fit, and timeless style that you've come to expect from Dobbin. This season, the collection is imbued with a new ladylike edge that resides in unexpected details: leather-covered buttons, textured fabric, and black lace.
We've also incorporated some elegant sexiness into the collection. Case in point? One of our favorite pieces, the Gabriella dress in crimson:
With an asymmetrical neckline and subtle hourglass shape, it's sleek, interesting, flattering, and still totally professional. Layer with a cardigan, coat or blazer for work, add a pair of fabulous heels for a night out. It's also a perfect dress for holiday parties.
Longtime Dobbin fans know that all of our collections have a mod vibe, but since the '60s aesthetic is such a huge trend for this fall, we've introduced some new mod-but-up-to-date pieces that feel particularly fresh. For example, the Alix jacket, and the Chelsea dress:
The perfect blend of vintage inspiration and clean modern design. Made with Italian stretch ponte, which we believe to be the most comfortable, flattering fabric on the planet. As much as we adore vintage style, comfort wasn't exactly a priority back then. We're thrilled to offer beautiful dresses like this that combine the best features of both eras.
Another favorite piece this season? The Alessandra dress:
Made of stretch silk charmeuse with a graphic dark floral print and fit-and-flare shape, slipping into this dress will make you feel like a modern-day Grace Kelly. And thanks to its soft stretch mesh lining, you can stay comfortable while looking glamorous.
Can you tell by now that we're swooning over rosy shades this season? Another standout piece in a gorgeous dark rose tone is our Martine jacket. Let's just admire it for a moment, shall we:
We are head over heels in love with this color (which is why you'll see a few different incarnations of it in this collection), but we think it's especially stunning in this chic, vintage-inspired jacket. Made of fine Italian wool and as flattering as it is stylish, you'll reach for this topper again and again during the chilly fall months. Wear it to work, parties, dates, even running errands! With a pair of oversized sunglasses, slim ankle pants, and ballet flats, you'll always be the best dressed woman in the room.
Stay tuned for more news about our fall collection, including styling tips, outfit ideas, behind-the-scenes stories, and updates on the latest trends. Be sure to add this page to your bookmarks so you don't miss a post! And remember, if you're new to Dobbin, use the discount code FIRSTTIMEVISITOR for 20% off your first order. We're so proud of these new pieces, and we can't wait for you to see them for yourself!